Thursday, July 2, 2009

Washing Machine Repair

I repaired the washing machine again today. I had repaired it last month, but I had not found the real problem. As I poked at the internal components, it started to work again.

So this time, I wanted to find the problem. I thought is was the control timer. So I got a another one ($25 used part). But the washer was still not emptying... :(

The guy who sold me the timer told me that timers were rarely faulty on that model. He told me to investigate the lid switch. This is the switch that stops the machine when the lid is open. I checked it, but it looked ok. So I decided to take a look at the wiring diagram that I found inside the machine. I found out that the lid switch was connected to two places: the control timer and the main motor. I knew the timer was working fine. So i decided to check on the electrical harness at the motor. I wiggled it a little and the machine started to work again. WOOT!! :)

Here is the culprit:

Since the repair shop was closed at that time, I decided to leave the faulty part in so I could close it up for the night.

Our washer/dryer set is 17 year old. My wife wants new ones. So we'll see later if I change the part or if we buy new Our fridge and stove are even older. We are definitly due for new appliances... But i love taking things apart. I won't be alowed to play inside new appliances...

1 comment:

  1. I havent seen you aroind the Blogosphere! I am isaiah spelldust! Owner of the Defenders of the Spiral blog.